Sunday, January 15, 2012

America's Favorite Cookies!





Have any of you seen that super cute Oreo commercial with the little boy web cam chatting with his dad who is somewhere across the globe? And he says "good night son" and the son replies "Goo'morning Dad" in the cutest way possible? I love it. Almost as much as I love sitting down to a package of Oreos and a cold glass of milk. Call it my weakness (among other things!) Its no wonder they named it America's Favorite Cookie. 


So when I found a recipe for these on the King Arthur Flours site I couldn't WAIT to try them!! I made some modifications to the recipe so mine is as follows:


 2 & 1/2 c. all-purpose, unbleached flour
1/2 c. cocoa 
1/2 tsp instant coffee/espresso powder
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1 c. unsalted butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 tsp black food coloring

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk together the flour,cocoa, espresso powder and salt; set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.

In 3 additions, add the flour mixture at low speed. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed. Add in the 1/4 teaspoon of black food coloring. Let me explain, by just adding the cocoa powder your mixture will be brown... Oreos are black! If you are able to find a fancy black cocoa powder by any means use that and nix the food coloring! I kneaded the cookie mixture by hand to fully incorporate the black color :)

Mix together some cocoa powder and flour and spread on rolling surface, rolling pin and cutter. Cut the cookies with a 1 and 3/4" circular cutter and place in fridge for 10 minutes. I made it easy by rotating in each pan while the cookies baked.
Bake for 8-9 minutes and cool completely.  
 
 
 
           


*filling*

  • 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extra 
  • 2 teaspoons cold water
Beat together the sugar, shortening, and vanilla. It'll seem very dry at first, but will eventually begin to clump together. Add the water, beating until smooth and spreadable. The filling should be stiff, but not so stiff that you can't flatten it when you sandwich it between the cookie. Place about a teaspoon (to tablespoon if you want double stuffed) sized ball on top of one cookie and flatten, place second cookie and sandwich together carefully.    
Then enjoy! They definitely call for a tall glass of milk and if you desire crunchy cookies like the packaged kind... these might not be for you!!! But the chocolate coffee flavor is divine and the filling far surpasses the packaged ones! :)
 

2 comments :

  1. Ummm....yes please!! Those look delicious! I'm pinning them right now! And, I'm your newest follower.

    Will you please link this up (and anything else you'd like to share!) at my party that's going on right now?? I'm sure others would love to see this recipe, too! http://www.52mantels.com/2012/01/thursdays-are-your-days-2.html

    ~Emily @ 52mantels.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! Thanks for visiting my blog I appreciate the support! I will definitely head on over and post this recipe as well as my Lemon bread :) thanks for the invite!

    Veronica @morningnoonight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete