Sunday, August 25, 2013

Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting



... Or the longest named cookie in the history of all cookies.

I'm sorry. I had to. I just lurve pumpkin (ermahgerd!!). These cookies are so soft, but not too sweet. And the cream cheese frosting is well, creamy, and heavenly, and pairs perfectly with the cookies.

By the way, I'm officially declaring that the end of August is pumpkin season. If you don't like it, tough.

Just kidding... Please don't leave my blog! :(

Now, let's make some cookies, shall we?

For the Cookies:
(makes 12 large cookies)

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

For Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
2 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda/powder, spices and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the pumpkin, egg and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy.
Mix in the dry ingredients, in 2 parts as not to antique your kitchen, until completely combined and the dough is formed.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and drop the dough by 2 Tablespoon sized scoops onto the prepared sheet. Flatten the tops slightly.
Bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven or until puffed and lightly golden.
Place on a cooling rack.

Meanwhile, prepare your frosting.
Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and beat until thick (add more or less powdered sugar to achieve desired consistency).
Add in vanilla and cinnamon.
Take the cooled cookies and smear frosting over the tops with a knife or offset spatula.

Enjoy these spicy, slightly sweet cookies. The cinnamon in the frosting pairs so well with the cream cheese.
Plus, these cookies whip up fairly quick so they would pair well as a dessert to any Fall meal.
Bring on pumpkin season!!!!


*recipe adapted from The Baker Chick

14 comments :

  1. These look absolutely delightful! I am always looking for recipes to convert gluten free. This may have to be one of them. If there's a will, there's a way, right? I love all things pumpkin.

    You have a lucky family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks amazing - I'm SO excited for fall and all of the apple/cinnamon/pumpkin things that go along with it. Mmmmm

    I'd love for you to share this at Tell Us Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! My boys would love these as a snack after school.

    And... I might sneak a few too! ;)

    Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many cookies does this make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe makes about 12 cookies! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. These were a success. I wanted you to know that I got 54 cookies when I multiplied everything by 1 1/2 (to use up pumpkin I had). And you know what else? These cookies are so soft I can eat one straight out of the freezer, after they've been in there a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DE-LISH!!! I added some chopped crystallized ginger too...the dough flavor and spices combine very well! Yummy!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely amazing...so amazing I made a double batch! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete