I have a 2-fer recipe for all of you, so I hope you enjoy it!
The weather is finally starting to warm up so hopefully that means summer is right around the corner... So what's better than a cool ice cream sandwich on a hot summer day? I'm thinking nothing...
Plus, the ice cream is TECHNICALLY frozen yogurt... so that means its healthy right? Oh, but there's also butter and chocolate chips you say? Well.....
For the Frozen Yogurt:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup vanilla yogurt (i used half Chobani greek and half regular yogurt)
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add in the chocolate chips and stir.
- Add the flour/chocolate mixture to the butter mixture and stir to blend. Add the yogurt and fold it in.
- Place mixture in an airtight container, cover and freeze until set.
For the Double Chocolate Cookies:
(recipe adapted from Food Network)
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup flour
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs at room temp
2 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, place the 3/4 cup of chocolate chips and 2 Tablespoons on butter and melt for 1 minute on high, checking at the 1/2 way mark to stir. Continue until the mixture is completely melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, 2 Tablespoons of water, and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture (in 3 parts) until thick and completely combined. Fold in the melted chocolate and stir in the 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Place 1/4 cup fulls of batter on to the prepared cookie sheets and bake until slightly puffed and the tops begin to crack, around 18 minutes. Place cookies on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Remove the frozen yogurt from the freezer 30 minutes before making your ice cream sandwiches to get it nice and soft. Place one cookie, a large scoop of ice cream and sandwich with another cookie!
I hope you enjoy this RICH (trust me, I checked his wallet) ice cream sandwich!