Thursday, September 26, 2013

Twinkie Bundt Cake


I'm going to keep it real for a second... But you can't hate me after I say what I am going to say, ok?

I don't, really, like Twinkies.

...I know, I'm crazy right?

But I can't avoid that distinct processed taste, with their overly sweet cream feeling...

I mean in reality, if I was stuck on a desert island with a severe case of a "sweet tooth", I would get down on some Twinkies.

But throw a Ho Ho in front of me and a Twinkie and best believe the Ho Ho will be gone! Word.

My coworker though? She loves her some Twinkies. So when her birthday rolled around, I knew I had to make the Twinkie cake I saw over at Sweetapolita.

This is a dense vanilla cake, with a crunchy golden exterior, and a creamy, buttery, marshmallow filling. 

I've already sold you, right?

So lets make some cake!


For the Cake:
3 cups cake flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter at room temp
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs plus 4 egg yolks, at room temp
1 cup buttermilk, room temp

For the Filling:
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow fluff
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla

powdered sugar for garnish

Place oven rack on the lower third of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees. Spray a 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust lightly with flour, set aside.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and vanilla on medium speed until smooth. Add sugar and beat until everything is combined. Slowly pour in the vegetable oil and beat until light and fluffy, around 2 minutes. Add eggs, and egg yolks, one at a time until fully incorporated. 
Reduce mixer to low stir in flour mixture and buttermilk in three alternating additions, starting and ending with the flour. Continue to mix on low-medium speed until the batter is smooth and no lumps remain. 
Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan and bake for 60-65 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 
Place pan on a wire rack and allow it to cool completely, around 2 hours.


To make the filling, beat together the marshmallow fluff and butter until smooth. Add in the teaspoon of vanilla and mix on medium speed until combined. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a large tip. Set aside.

With the cake still in the pan, use a paring knife to cut 6-7 deep holes in the bottom of the cake, each about 3/4 inch in diameter and being careful not to cut completely through the top of the cake. (Remember, my reference to the top and bottom of the pan is as to how it will look once inverted). 
Discard the scraps and with your finger, carefully burrow a horizontal tunnel in the center of the cake to connect the holes.

Insert the tip filled with the marshmallow cream into each hole and squeeze the filling inside. Use your fingers or the pastry bag to maneuver the filling through all of the crevices. 

When cake is completely filled, quickly and carefully invert cake on to your serving platter. 

Dust with powdered sugar and serve!


This cake has the perfect mix of vanilla crumb and an over-the-top marshmallow butter cream center.

Enjoy!





No comments :

Post a Comment