Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pumpkin Waffles


Pumpkin season is in full effect in my household... I literally have about 15 plus pumpkin recipes in my queue ready to be made!


My husband is over it already. He tagged me in this picture the other day:


He said he was married to the Bubba Gump of pumpkin... I sir, am honored. Pumpkin all the things!
Especially when you can add it to breakfast food because then, my kids are totally eating vegetables for breakfast? Amiright?

For the Waffles:
2 cups all purpose flour
3 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups of milk (I used whole)
1 heaping cup of pumpkin puree (some extra might have accidentally fell into the bowl)
1 egg yolk plus 3 egg whites
4 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter, cooled
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Warm Maple Syrup
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Butter for topping

In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip together the 3 egg whites until stiff peaks form, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder/soda, pie spice, and salt in a large bowl. 
In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, pumpkin puree, egg yolk, butter, and apple cider vinegar until blended. 
Add pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Gently fold in the whipped egg whites.
Heat a waffle iron and scoop batter, about 1/2-3/4 cup at a time, on to the hot iron. Cook according to manufacturers instructions and serve immediately.

Tips for waffles: 
Cool on a rack to maintain crispness
Reheat in oven at 250 for 5 minutes if necessary.

Serve with maple syrup, powdered sugar, cinnamon butter, or plain! My kids loved these waffles and I hope y'all do too! Enjoy!



*recipe adapted from Number 2 Pencil

No comments :

Post a Comment