Thursday, April 26, 2012

"Watermelon" Cake Pops

*Get ready for the messiest blog you have ever seen in your life....*


Am I the only one who feels like I get a confidence boost when I am on Pinterest?

Everything I come across in the food and drink section makes me think "pfff I can make that no problem!"

Here lays the problem... I can't. 

I'm usually pretty confident in the kitchen, but if I was Superman... Cake Pops would be my kryptonite. 

Bakerella, I commend you. Compared to her, Superman turns into Captain Underpants. 

How she has the patience to not only make these things but decorate the heck out of them? I will never know...

My sister in-law who is ALSO amazing in the kitchen (check her out!) even called cake pops "the assholes of baking". Yes....Yes they are.

But....  I felt like I had to share my journey with all of you. 

Because if anything, this venture taught me a lesson: In life and in the kitchen, not everything goes your way.

Lessons are so overrated..... Its more like if it doesn't work the first time, throw your pops across the kitchen, down a glass of wine.......

.....then go back and clean it all up..... 

I'll include the ingredients for you because maybe you are all little Bakerellas and can make these look amazing....

You'll Need:
Box of Strawberry cake mix...cooked and cooled (according to box)
1 tub cream cheese frosting
mini chocolate chips
white candy melts
green candy melts
lollipop sticks

....and your sanity

Once your 13x9 cake has cooled, crumble with hands into a large bowl. Mix in 3/4 of the tub of cream cheese frosting until all the crumbs are coated and sticky. Mix in about 1/2 the bag of mini chocolate chips...these will act as the "watermelon" seeds. 




With clean hands, take the cake and roll into about 2 tablespoon sized balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet and let set in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.

Once set, roll again if need be and melt some of your white candy melts. Dip one end of you lollipop sticks into the melted candy and then into the cake balls (this will act as your glue). Place back in the fridge to let this harden up.... another 20 minutes.



Melt your green candy melts. First you will want to dip the pops into the white this will act as the "inner" watermelon rind.



Once the white is set dip into the green.


Let it set and wrap. These were going to my sons schools bake sale (how embarrassing) so I only made enough white AND green ones to supply to them. 

Thus... My pictures have only the green. 

Shockingly they do taste great. So hopefully everyone can look passed these misshapen babies and pay at least a quarter for them!


They do look kind of cute all wrapped up....

1 comment :