Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Homemade Buster Bars


I've been lucky enough to grow up near a Dairy Queen most of my life.

The local lunch hang out during my entire High School career was Dairy Queen.

I would always order the same thing... A chicken strip basket and a Blizzard or... a Buster Bar. (Totally calorie free if you were wondering).

I thought of an ingenious way to make them at home (sans chocolate coating because that just sounded like a mess. So if that's up your ally.... more power to ya).

And next time I would probably use Dixie cups and not Styrofoam because peeling them off was kind of a pain.

Honestly though, the sweet and melty vanilla ice cream, mixed with the gooey hot fudge and salty peanuts make it all kind of worth it.

Plus the flavor combinations are endless... How about throwing some Peanut Butter in the middle of these guys!? YUM!

Buster Bars:
(makes 6 using 8-oz cups)
1 quart of your favorite vanilla ice cream
1 jar hot fudge topping
salted peanuts

8 oz Styrofoam or Dixie Cups
Plastic spoons


  1. So! Set your ice cream on the counter so it can become melty (Is this even a word? Most likely not but I've used it twice so I'm sticking to it). 
  2. Place some peanuts into the bottom of your cup (really the top of the ice cream) and dollop a tablespoon of hot fudge onto them. 
  3. Cover with vanilla ice cream, going half way up your cups. Place more peanuts, then hot fudge and cover with more ice cream until the cups are filled. Now gently, with the back of a spoon, press down to compact everything. Stick a plastic spoon square in the middle and freeze.
  4. Continue with the rest of your cups. 
  5. Once hardened peel back your cups and you are left with the perfect "pop". Enjoy right away or dip into chocolate coating for TRUE Buster Bars.






5 comments :

  1. very good idea, I would not be able to wait for it to set up again though and would eat it out of the cup;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, me and DQ, we're like this. I love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dorothy! I was just looking at your red velvet cheesecake cupcakes! Ummm.... Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veronica,
    These looks delicious! I love homemade treats for the kids in summer and this is perfect. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so yummy! We love peanut buster bars!! We are so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Please come back again really soon! Thanks! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete