Monday, September 10, 2012

French Bread (Oui Oui)


I'm fairly certain a great bread is my weakness...

Don't even ask for the bread basket at restaurants because I'll pretend like I only want one piece, then slowly devour 2-3 more.

Then I'll most likely be too full to eat my meal, but that means leftovers. So it's honestly a win-win.

Nothing beats a warm piece of bread with a crunchy exterior and a chewy-moist inside. Slather with some sweet cream butter...Game. Over.

Now that I know how easy it is to make at home I haven't quite decided if it's a good thing or bad thing.

Shout out to the people on no-carb diets right now! Word.

French Bread:
(makes 2 GIANT loaves or 3 medium sized loaves)

2 1/2 cups warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons (or 1 packet) yeast
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
3/4 Tablespoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
7 cups bread flour

cornmeal for dusting
1 egg for wash

In a large bowl, whisk together the water, yeast, sugar and vinegar and let sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbles start to form (this means your yeast is doing a happy dance!).
Add in the salt and vegetable oil and whisk. One cup at a time, mix in your bread flour until a dough starts to form. You will want to knead your dough for 2-5 minutes until it has reached a soft/sticky consistency (IT WILL BE STICKY!!!!)
Set a small pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and place the pot of boiled water and your bowl of dough into your oven. The water will keep the dough moist. Close your oven door and check on the dough after 45 minutes, if the dough has risen to the top of the bowl punch down. Continue this process, punching down the dough every time it reaches the top of the bowl. Depending on your time constraints, do this 3-5 times.
After your final rise, using floured hands and a floured surface, form the dough into a ball and portion into 2 large, or 3 medium sized equal pieces. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and lightly dust with cornmeal. Roll the dough balls into oblong pieces and transfer to your cookie sheet (s). Slash the tops of the bread 5 or 6 times diagonally. Whisk the egg and brush over the tops of the loaves.


Preheat your oven to 170 degrees. Place loaves into the oven and let rise for 20-30 minutes (varies depending on your desired loaf side) Without opening the oven, turn it up to 375 degrees and bake loaves for 25-30 minutes or until cooked thoroughly and golden brown.

Enjoy! Just try not to eat the whole loaf in one sitting :)


3 comments :

  1. Oh my oh my...I am going to give this a try when it gets cold and I need the oven on to really warm up the house and make it cozy. I can practically smell it! Saying Hi from Mom on A Time Out Hop...I host Photo Friday Link Party, I'd love to have you link up this or any other original photo from your blog. Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica, OMG this looks amazing! I can’t wait to try the recipe. I too am a bread lover and haven't made homemade in a few months. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful weekend
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious! I LOVE bread and I'm happy to bring home the leftovers :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete