Monday, November 12, 2012

Grandma Vi's Russian Tea Cakes


I've grown up making these cookies for Christmas as far back as I can remember. These cookies, cut out sugar cookies, and pecan fingers are a custom in our home. I hope to pass on this tradition to my children as well.

This is my Grandma's recipe that comes form a tiny red book my mom typed up in the 70's. I cant wait to go through and try all of her recipes one day. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to meet my grandmother, but I like to think my cooking abilities come from her. I hope I'm making you proud Grandma!

I hope you make these cookies this holiday season, you might have even made them yourself and called them a Mexican Wedding Cookie. Whatever you call them, they are my ultimate favorite! Biting into them brings back so many childhood memories!

Happy Holidays everyone...

Cookie Dough:
(Makes about 2 dozen)
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts

Extra powdered sugar, in a bowl,  for coating

  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
  2. With your hand mixer, combine the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add in the flour and salt and mix until a crumbly dough forms. Stir in the nuts.
  3. Working with your hands, shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place about an inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden. Cool for 2-3 minutes and then transfer to your bowl of powdered sugar. Roll warm cookies into the sugar and cool completely on a wire rack. Roll once more in the powdered sugar and enjoy!!





2 comments :

  1. thanks for the recipe. christmas always seems a bit more special when there are delicious baked goods like these russian teacakes. i'll have to try this recipe because recipes from grandma are always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica,
    These are my ALL TIME FAVORITE cookies! I make mine with almond extract, super yum! Thanks so much for linking up each week :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete