Monday, February 4, 2013

Boston Cream Pie



Did everyone watch the Super Bowl yesterday? What did you think? I didn't really care which team won or lost because they weren't MY team (the Packers!). But I thought overall it was a good game! And who am I kidding, all I really care about is the drinks, food, and the funny commercials! Were there any favorites? I thought the Doritos and Oreo ones were the best!

And now that we are passed the Super Bowl, it's on to Birthdays, Valentines Day and most importantly: CHD (Congenital Heart Defect) Awareness Week! For everyone who doesn't know, it is February 7th-14th and shines awareness on the number 1 defect in children; 1 in a 100! I plan on devoting a whole blog as to why that week is special for me so expect a week full of hearts and me oogling over my miracle child!

Anyways, on to this cake! I made it to celebrate my moms birthday and I think it was a HIT! It's impressive to look at, delicious, and can I just TELL you how easy it is? I can? Perfect, lets get to it!

For the Cake:
1 box of yellow butter cake mix

For the Filling:
1 box vanilla pudding mix (3.4 oz)
1 cup cold milk
1 1/5 cups cool whip

For the Ganache:
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk

Make the cake according to the instrcutions on the box. It's best to place a piece of parchment on the bottom of the cake pans to insure they do not stick. Let the cakes cool slightly, then invert on to cooling racks to cool completely.

Meanwhile, make the filling. Whisk together the pudding mix and milk, whisking for 2 minutes until it is starting to thicken. Fold in the cool whip and place in your fridge for 5 minutes to set.

Place bottom cake layer, upisde down, on your serving platter. Smear filling completely over the top. It will look like a lot of filling but trust me, you want it ALL!

Press second cake layer over the top and press down gently.


Make the ganache by placing the 1 cup of chocolate chips and 2 Tablespoons of butter into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir the mixture until the chocolate is completely melted. Add in the powdered sugar and milk and stir until smooth and shiny. Quickly pour and spread over the top layer of cake.

Place in the fridge for at least an hour before slicing!

Enjoy! :)




3 comments :

  1. This looks amazing Veronica! Pinned and shared on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Trish! For stopping by and sharing on Facebook :) I really appreciate the love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun cake... I'd love to have you come and share at Super Saturday Show & Tell today :) xoxo~ Ruthie http://whatscookingwithruthie.com

    ReplyDelete