Sunday, April 13, 2014

Apple Fritter Bread


You know the Cookie Monster right? That cute little blue monster who demolishes cookies in an almost violent manner? Well yeah, that's my family with donuts.

First: My boys bite off the tops of the chocolate donuts and put them back (totally sacrilege)
Second: If they're glazed, they will polish off 2 in a sitting
And Third: If its cream filled anything I will eat two before the box is even set on the table.

I have no shame.

When I was pregnant with my first son though, and still working, I would stop every afternoon before work and pick up an apple fritter. Have you tried them from 7-11? Best apple fritters you will ever have... trust.

I've fallen away from my everyday love affair of them (my thighs say AMEN) but when I stumbled across this recipe (I even posted it on my Facebook) I knew I wanted to make it. ASAP.

It comes out more cake-like than bread-like but the cinnamon/sugar mixture paired with apples mimics an apple fritter perfectly. It just isn't fried.... So there's probably like only 20 calories a slice, am I right or am I right!?


For the Cake:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 apple, peeled and diced then coated with 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk

For the Frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon milk

In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
In another small bowl, mix together the diced apple with 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon, also set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x5" loaf pan with parchment paper, spray with cooking oil, and set aside. You should now have bowls and loaf pans piling into a shunned corner of your kitchen.
In a large bowl, beat the sugar with softened butter with your hand mixer just until smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla and mix to combine. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. 
Add in the flour and baking powder and beat just until the flour is mixed in. Stir in milk.

Take half of the batter and pour it into your prepared loaf pan. Top with half of the apple mixture and half of the cinnamon/brown sugar mixture. Top with remaining batter, smoothing the top. Press the remaining apples lightly into the batter and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar mixture. Swirl gently with a skewer.
Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. 


In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until combined. Adding more powdered sugar or milk to achieve desired consistency.
Drizzle over the top of the cooled bread.
Slice and serve. 


The flavors mimic an apple fritter and the cake is soft and moist. Enjoy with a cup of hot coffee!

*recipe adapted from Rumbly In My Tumbly 

1 comment :

  1. My hubby love apple fritters and this bread would be the perfect thing! Pinned! Discovered this sweetness from strut your stuff Saturday!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete