Thursday, August 11, 2011

Typical Saturday Morning Cereal Turns to Homemade Eggs Bendict

I'm adventuresome...what can I say? And when I get an idea in my mind. I have to follow through. Success or not... I suppose this is how I was lead to eggs Benedict! I didn't want to make it easy on myself so EVERY thing was homemade. Minus the Ham (do not have a farm) which was roasted a couple of nights before in a smokey brown sugar glaze...anyways...

Lets begin with the English muffins. My favorite part! I searched high and low on the internet for different recipes and came to the conclusion: I would take my skills and switch up some things. But basically, this is the final recipe I used:

  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/4 cup melted shortening
  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt

  1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
  3. Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
  4. Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked
Let rise until nice and fluffy (and holey looking) Such an important step to get the wonderful crevices we all love!!!!
 Next step was a basic Hollandaise  recipe (thanks Tyler!) which I had my husband whip into submission (the perks of having someone with muscles in the house)
After poaching some eggs and compiling our meal we were set and I have to say...it was divine!! (excuse my liquidy Hollandaise, I unfortunately did not get the best picture before and I added a little of water to mine...although delicious I cant stand the texture of it...weird right?)


2 comments :

  1. Please come make this for my husband its his favorite breakfast and it scares me haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you totally outdid yourself on this one. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete