Saturday, March 8, 2014

Homemade Thin Mints



Girl Scout season is in full effect! Boy, do I love me some Girl Scout cookies... Caramel Delites (AKA Samoas), Thin Mints (frozen, always), Lemonades, Shortbread's, Peanut Butter Sandwiches. Oops, I'm sorry, did I just list ALL of the Girl Scout cookie flavors? (OK, shy of a few). And, Well... That's because I haven't met a cookie I didn't like.


At $4 a box though, I might have to sell my first born to feed my addiction. Which I'm not entirely opposed to (juuuust kidding). So I ventured out to make my own... And boy am I glad I did! This recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies and costs less than $5 to whip together (closer to 10 if you don't have mint extract laying around).

And, it's a cookie made from a cookie. Which makes for leftover cookies. That's just all around winning... Oh, and did I mention these are mostly Vegan? Only because I can't promise that the sugar used in Oreos are 100% Vegan. C'est la vie.

Oh, and did I mention my bestie-boo Amy from Crafts, Cakes, and Cats whipped together a Girl Scout inspired recipe as well? Check out her Samoa Brownies! I'm a sucker for chocolate, coconut, and caramel... YUM!

You will need:
(makes 2 dozen cookies)
16 ounces vanilla or chocolate candy melts, 8 ounces each if using both flavors
12 Oreo sandwich cookies, split, licked scraped of cream filling (this will make 24 wafers)
1 teaspoon Mint Extract


Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Melt candy according to package instructions. I wanted to use both chocolate and vanilla so I used 8 ounces each and melted in the microwave on high, 30 seconds at a time until completely melted and smooth. Stir in 1 teaspoon mint (if using 1 flavor) or 1/2 teaspoon into each 8 ounce candy if using two. If you notice your candy melts starting to harden after adding the mint extract, add in 1/2 Tablespoon of vegetable shortening. This will thin the candy out considerably.
Working in batches, dip each wafer into the chocolate, covering completely on both sides. Lift cookies with a fork and allow excess to drip off. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and allow them to harden.
I sprinkled some of my white cookies with Oreo crumbs, but feel free to drizzle with chocolate or leave plain.



I even placed my cookies in the fridge to set up overnight because I love the extra hard, cold cookie. These are great when wrapped airtight and placed in the freezer as well.
The flavor of a Thin Mint is SPOT ON! Minty chocolate and crunchy cookie. Boom Girl Scouts, IN YO FACE!! Just kidding, please take my $40....



3 comments :

  1. GREAT job, Veronica! They really do look so yummy. I just finished a whole box of thin mints, lol...I may just need to bake me some...soon! Thanks for sharing...I hope you don't mind that I pinned these:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louise! Of course you are always welcome to pin them! I hope you try these out.. They are super easy and taste just as good as the original!

    ReplyDelete