Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Apple Fritters


I'd like to think that since it's nearing Mother's Day my family has something extravagant planned.

A day full of pampering, delicious food and champagne. Lots of champagne.

But alas, my husband has never been much of a planner and my kids are far to young to even know the difference between Monday and Friday, let alone an epic holiday like Mother's Day.

So I have decided to take the day into my own hands and plan what I would like to do.

I'll start the day by having brunch, going to work (who do I talk to to make this a National Holiday *AHEM*), have an amazing dinner then pampering myself on Monday with a massage and pedicure. 

Just tell me where I have to sign the card!

I have a feeling though, if any of you are in the same boat, you could leave this recipe out and have these on Mother's Day. 

Besides the hot oil part, kids could definitely get in the kitchen and help the Dad's with this one. Plus, Apple Fritters are amazing. Anytime I go to a gas station market it's the first thing I beeline towards. Who knew how easy they were to make at home!?

Apple Fritter Dough:
(recipe adapted from seeminglygreek)

1 heaping cup of all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 egg
1/3 cup milk plus more if needed
1- 1 1/2 cups chopped apple

oil for frying
milk and powdered  sugar for glaze or dipping

Mix all of the dry ingredients together and slowly add in the wet except for the apples. Carefully mix until combined but not overly beaten then gently fold in your apple pieces. The batter should be the consistency of cake mix, so I wound up needing more than the 1/3 cup of milk (about 2 tbsp more).

 Heat your oil and once ready, use a small spoon or cookie scoop to spoon batter about 3-4 balls at a time. Watch carefully for the underside to turn brown, this should take about 40 seconds per side, and flip carefully. Ideally your oil should stay at 365 degrees, you don't want the outsides to be cooked but the center doughy! Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain and cool. Dip into glaze, drizzle or serve on the side for dunking!


Happy Mother's Day to everyone! We all deserve a day, OK a week..... yeah, you're right, a Month's worth of spoils!!


5 comments :

  1. I am a huge apple fritters fan! Just shared on Facebook and pinned! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish they really are delicious!! Happy Morher's Day!! :)

      Delete
  2. These fritters are amazing!! They look delicious. We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope to see you back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW these are fantastic!!! will be making over and over thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, these look amazing! I can't wait to try this recipe. My husband LOVES apple fritters :)

    ReplyDelete