Monday, May 7, 2012

Bread n' Butter Pickles


I am absolutely loving the fact that the weather is finally warming up. Beach, flip flops, sun dresses... here I come! But more importantly, to me anyways, that means ice cream, BBQ's and fruit markets.

I am OBSESSED with fruit markets. The one by our house finally opened and their stuff is a complete steal. Where else can you get 5 artichokes for a dollar... you heard me right... a DOLLAR!

But my favorite thing you ask? (I am assuming you are all asking...) is homemade pickles. The guy literally sells pickling cucumbers 4/$1. S-T-E-A-L!

So here is my recipe for homemade pickles. They are TOO easy! These can be whipped up in a couple of minutes, the juice can be used to pickle anything once made and the fact that I just saved you all from spending $4 on a jar of store bought pickles... well, I deserve a medal. Feel free to mail them to me... HA!

For the Pickles:
5 pickling cucumbers
4 sprigs fresh dill or 1 1/2 tablespoons dry
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
3 cups water
5-6 garlic cloves
pickling spice (recipe as follows)
salt and pepper
Sterilized mason jars (or left over pasta ones as you see above)

Pickling Spice:
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon all-spice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

(I eyeballed almost all of these spices, if you enjoy more or less of something please sub to your liking!)

OK!
Sterilize your jars but boiling in hot water for 5 minutes. Carefully remove them with tongs and place upside down on a towel to dry.

Wash your cucumbers and cut into 1/4 inch thick round slices. Spears are fine or if you find cucumbers small enough leave them whole. Place the cucumber slices along with the dill into the sterilized jars.

Set a medium sized pot over medium-low heat and combine the vinegar, sugar, water, garlic cloves, pickling spice, salt and pepper. Bring the brine to a boil then pour over cucumbers in still semi-hot mason jars and seal with the lid. Allow to cool to room temperature before sticking them into the fridge. You can serve once they are chilled but the pickles are best after a couple days.





These are amazing. Place on burgers, fry them or eat right out of the jar! They have a sweet, tangy flavor followed by a hint of spice... FANTASTIC!!


3 comments :

  1. My husband loves Bread and Butter Pickles, I'll have to try making them now. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how long do these last in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal! These pickles actually keep really well, I would say a month or more (however, ours never last that long) ;) thanks for stopping by!

      Delete