Sunday, July 15, 2012

Carrot Cake with Brown Sugar-Cream Cheese Frosting


My carrot cake craving was so strong I almost thought I was pregnant again.

I would dream of carrot cake, scowl recipes of carrot cake, I wanted it. Like yesterday!

So I made it... yesterday! (Coincidence? I think not.)

The brown sugar cream cheese frosting is heaven.

But can I just share my little baking mishap with you? I like to find recipes and change them as my own. Adding things, taking away, substituting. So silly me, while combining recipes I found one that used Self-Rising Flour. I don't have that on hand, so I figured I would sub in baking powder and salt to my regular AP.

Who forgets the baking powder? ME! GAH! Thank goodness 10 minutes in the oven, with the batter still runny, this crossed my mind!

Crisis averted! The cake rose and was moist as all get out.

Here's my recipe... Just don't be a space case and forget the baking powder!


For the Bread Cake Loaf... Thing:


9 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
Zest of one large orange
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups grated carrot
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your loaf pan. I like to line mine with aluminum foil to assure it does not stick.
With your stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time then the orange zest. Beat until combined.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Add in the carrot, sifted flour mixture, spices and nuts and mix on low. Gradually pour in your milk and stop when full incorporated.
Pour batter into your prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let cool in tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, unsalted
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add in the brown sugar and vanilla and beat until combined and thickened. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake and enjoy!!


The spicy cake, crunchy walnuts, crunchy carrots and rich, creamy frosting definitely satisfied my craving! Make this TODAY!

6 comments :

  1. Oh wow, that frosting! Can I eat the whole batch myself???

    ReplyDelete
  2. That frosting sounds to die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish! Thanks for sharing! We would love to have you link up with our party!

    http://baked-inthesouth.blogspot.com/2012/07/made-it-by-monday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrot cake is my weakness! It looks sooo good! Visiting from trick or treat tuesday - have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm this carrot bread looks delicious! I have a whole bag of carrots sitting in the fridge that seriously need to be used up and have been trying to think of something to do with them... thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete