Thursday, July 5, 2012

Lemon Icebox Pie


I've never been fond of the saying "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade".

Really? Who drinks lemonade with just lemons? You need water and sugar. Which I translate in life as being tears and love. 

I'm not much of a complainer but this last week and a half has been brutal. Between the flu virus floating around (which I just saw a report on the possibility of it being West Nile Virus... Ummm, I don't THINK SO! Who needs WebMD to terrify you when the news is just as bad).

On top of that my husband had a flat tire and work is crazy. There. Done with complaining. But without a few shed tears and my loving family I'd be in an institution. 

So, I took my lemons and made icebox pie. Talk about melt in your mouth! This is so quick to make and is everything right in the world. I made a meringue to top the pie but it failed... miserably. I can't say I'm surprised after this week. 

Oh well.... It's more than delicious without.

For the Crust:
3 cups Nilla wafers
1/2 cup pecans
6 tablespoons butter

Filling:
6 egg yolks
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup lemon juice

First, make your crust. Place all 3 ingredients into your food processor and pulse until the butter coats the crumbs. Press into a pie pan or 10" spring-form pan. (If using a pie pan, you might have left over filling). 
In your stand mixer, combine the egg yolks and condensed milk at medium speed. Set the mixer to low and slowly pour in your lemon juice. Mix until thick and incorporated. Pour over your crust. 


Now, you can either whip up a meringue to top this or place in the oven at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes. You will want the filling to be set.
It isn't called an icebox pie for nothin'! After pulling the pie from the oven, let cool completely on a wire rack.
Then place in your refrigerator for 6 hours to over night.
Trust me, it's worth the wait....



2 comments :

  1. My mouth is watering! I'm hoping your weekend is better than the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lemon icebox pie looks amazing! We love lemon desserts! Thanks for joining us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We hope you'll be back soon! We loved having you. -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete